Thursday, January 17, 2013

Chemo Round Two….Done




Today was another very long day.  Nina and I arrived for my 10:15 AM appointment on time and we walked out of the office at 3:30 PM.  Through my port, the nurse drew blood for a CBC (complete blood count) and other standard tests.  So far, my CBC is staying normal enough to receive the chemotherapies, which I’m so grateful for.  [This morning, the woman sitting in the chair next to me was told that her white blood cell count was too low for her to receive her chemotherapy today.  I watched as she tearfully called for her ride, packed up her things, and went home.  I can imagine how disappointing it would be to be unable to receive the medications that would be helping fight the fight.  I felt for her.]

My time in the chemo chair was a little longer than usual today because my doctor added two anti-nausea medications since the first few days after my first treatment were really rough. I’m hoping they help, but I’m dubious.  (I started feeling nauseous while sitting in the chair today, but I came home and took some oral anti-nausea meds that I hope will help.)  I’m tentatively scheduled for my next treatment in three weeks, but that appointment is dependent upon CT chest, abdomen, and pelvis scan results, which are scheduled in two weeks. 
                                                        
 
 
I got some good news today.  The results of my liver enzyme tests that were drawn last week have improved over test results from prior to my first chemo treatment.  That’s a good sign that the chemotherapy is shrinking the tumors in my liver.  Additionally, overall, my liver hurts less and feels a little less “full”.  This week I really needed a small piece of good news. 

Wynn bought and set up a training apparatus for my road bike.  I rode a little this morning before my treatment and when I came home I rode a little more.  I don’t know if it helps, but I was thinking that if I get my heart rate up a little, I’d be circulating the chemo drugs around that would help metabolize them faster.  I know they’re supposed to be helping me, but I like the idea of getting them through my body as soon as possible. 











No comments: