Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Quick Update: Hip and Cancer

Spring at Wynn and Luna's


     As of yesterday, I've been home six weeks.  In this time, I've gotten significantly stronger, but I still have a ways to go.  
  • No more walker and the rental wheelchair has been returned.  I need to use a cane, but am trying to get around the house without it for increasing longer periods.  (My limp is  significant, however.  Gotta work on that.)
  • Wound vac...gone two weeks ago.  This was a big step forward for me.  No more being attached to a 4 lb. pump by 4 feet of tubing. The incision is slowly healing and I only have to see the wound care PT once a week now.
  • IV antibiotics...done last week.  Now I'm on three oral antibiotics, but with the end of home IV treatments, I'm done dealing with tubes. 
  • The hospital bed was returned three weeks ago because I am strong enough to make it up our stairs.  
  • After a few practice runs, I'm back to driving. 
  • PT 3x/week continues to go well. 
  • I'm going back to work this coming Monday.  My employer, AMITA-St. Alexius Medical Group, and in particular my manager, Marianne, have been incredible in supporting me as I negotiate this unexpectedly long time off.  I don't qualify for FMLA because I'm not a full-time employee, but Marianne and my director, Holly, have assured me that my job will be protected.  I opted to take this time off as unpaid, so my employer doesn't have a way to deduct my health insurance premiums...so they are billing me directly.  I need this job because I need (great) health insurance, so I want to get back as soon as I can. Plus, I miss my buddies at work and our patients!
  • Although I don't have any imaging studies until next month, (brain MRI and CT scans of chest, abdomen, pelvis), my most recent blood tests for tumor markers were all normal.
     Thanks, family and friends, for your continued love and support.  I'll do my best to keep you updated as things progress.


More Spring at Wynn and Luna's



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you at the progress you are making - reading what you have been going through the last couple of months made me frustrated on your behalf, especially when you have a medical concern and it seems like it is not being taken as seriously as it should be or you are really being listened to. Not everyone would be as forgiving as you, Luna. I applaud you for keeping up your positive attitude! Congrats on the progress you are making - you are doing great! We think about you often!!! (And by the way, your flowers look lovely!)
-Natalie G.

Mike said...

Good news Luna. Praying for healing. :)