Sunday, February 26, 2017

More Interim Brain MRI Update

     Last Thursday I had an MR spectroscopy.  This is a more sophisticated and expensive MRI, which was supposed to give me additional information about the lesion in my brain.  Unfortunately, following the spectroscopy, the neuroradiologist was unable to better characterize the lesion and still cannot definitively report it as a metastatic tumor, or not.  It is "atypical" of what he would expect a metastatic tumor to look like given the type of cancer I have.  (Although it was a short time interval since my last MRI, I'm happy to report that the lesion did not grow in the past two weeks.)

     My first inclination was to say..."OK - so let's zap it anyway." The stress and frustration of this uncertainty is getting to me.  Thank goodness for the cool head of my oncologist.  Focused radiation treatments, (stereotactic radiosurgery -SRS), is not without side effects, so it's important not to do it unnecessarily. My options at this point are to wait another 8 weeks for another MRI, or I can seek other opinions.  I've chosen the latter.

     I picked up copies of my most recent MRIs from the hospital, (3 in the last 2 months), and have FedEx-ed them to experts at the University of Colorado and the University of Chicago.  I don't know how long it will take to get their interpretations and recommendations, but I hope it's not too long. 

Stayed tuned for more on this cliff-hanger....
 

1 comment:

Lisa Moran said...

Dr. Camidge at University of Colorado is my oncologist. I can't say enough about him and the Anschutz Cancer Center. Sending good thoughts. Keep us posted on any updates.