Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Annual Donation Request




On Saturday, February 21st, my family and I will again be participating in Cycle for Survival, a fund raising event for research at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. This fund raiser was started by a woman, Jennifer Linn, and her husband, David.  Jennifer was diagnosed with a rare type of sarcoma in 2004 and died in 2011.  She was an avid spin cycler and together with David they created an incredible fund raiser to support research for rare cancers at MSKCC.  

My family and I came to learn about this fund raiser because David is a relative of my sister-in-law, Debbie, and my brother-in-law, Bob, is a close friend of David's uncle.  (It's a family thing...)  In any case, Bob rallied our family to participate in this fund raiser shortly after I was found to have metastatic lung cancer.  

This event raises money for research into rare cancers.  Lung cancer is the most common cancer.  However, cancer researchers and scientists now share information, working collaboratively to find new treatments.  MSKCC, famously known for their cancer research and care, has contributed to data and information that has benefited all of us with all types of cancer.  This, along with with the family connection I mentioned above, is why I ride to raise funds for MSKCC.

Of course I worry that the people close to me are experiencing "donation request fatigue" because I've been asking for your support for the last two years. In the past, my family and friends have been incredibly generous. So generous that it's hard for me to come back each year to ask for more.  Please understand that I am only able to ask again because I still need more research for treatment options...and I'm still hoping for a cure. I also ask because, as a never-smoker, I know that lung cancer can happen to anyone. It happened to me and it can happen to you. If possible, please consider making a donation. It's a great cause for those of us who are counting on more research to keep us alive a little longer. 

Just click on the link below:
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/LunaRidesforResearch

If you can't donate, please know that I understand.  It's not possible to contribute to every donation request that is received.  But...I will make you a deal.  If you donate to my cause, I'll donate to yours.  Just ask me :)

And...thank you.

No comments: